The tropical shores of the beautiful Raya Island are just far enough off Phuket’s southern coastline that the tourists haven’t exactly found yet. It is one the Islands on the planet which is close enough to make it a worthy day trip destination. A 30-minute speedboat trip brings tourist to turquoise waters and sun kissed beaches.
More about Raya Island
- Raya Island is a prime spot for yachts, which typically stay at the resorts, and dive lovers, here, generally book up all the island’s less expensive rooms. Between the yachts, diving boats, and speedboats with snorkelling day trippers, Raya’s delightful straights can get very congested during the high season.
- The bays and beaches on Raya Island are connected by roads. It is possible for the visitors to rent a motorbike, but you’re better off walking. A common sight is a cart loaded with divers and their gear being towed to the beach by a tractor or ATV.
Activities on Raya Island
- Activities on the island include mountain biking and nature hikes but the one which is favourite among visitors is Raya Island snorkelling. You can rent a snorkel and mask and visit Lah Bay for some great snorkelling – giant star fish, puffer fish and rainbow trout a plenty swim here.
- The resorts on the Island offer organised activities like horseback riding and fishing trips, but these will put a big dent in your wallet.
- Going on a day trip is how most holiday-makers experience the Raya islands, and day tours visit Coral Island, Raya Island, or both.
- Beach activities like banana boat rides and para-sailing are also available on the Island.
- Enjoy a sumptuous lunch at raya seafood restaurant before the warm waters and gleaming sands beckon you for a few more hours of swimming and basking in the sun.