Located in the Garhwal Range of the Himalayas, Auli is a relatively fresh hill station, and has gained popularity among tourists in a very short span of time. This hill station is widely known for its ski slopes, which are of international standards. There are a multitude of things in Auli to indulge every tourist. Read on to know about more such adventurous activities and places to visit in Auli.
- Auli Ropeway: This is considered as one of the highest and the longest ropeways in India, connecting the hill stations of Joshimath and Auli. The ropeway covers an approximate distance of 4 kilometers and travels at a height of 3010 meters above sea level.
- Auli Artificial Lake: This is the highest manmade lake in the world, and has been built in an effort to encourage tourism in Auli. Situated in close proximity to the lake, there are many hotels in Auli which make it easy for the guests to enjoy the view of the snow-capped mountains and the beautiful lake.
- Gurso Bugyal: If you are bitten by the adventure bug, you can take a short trek (approximately 3 km) to the mysterious Gurso Bugyal. Walking along the nature trails and taking in the views of the mountains will be an experience in itself.
- Skiing: As mentioned earlier, Auli provides an excellent skiing experience. The snow dressed slopes of Auli were once the training grounds for the Paramilitary forces, and now are a place of adventure for ski enthusiasts.
- Badrinath: After a brief stopover or a day’s stay at hotels or resorts in Auli, you can head to one of the most religious pilgrim places of India i.e. Badrinath. The hike to this place begins from Joshinath and you can see places like Thermal springs, Neelkanth mountain and much more after reaching Badrinath.
- Vishnuprayag: Once in Auli, you would not want to miss the beauty of Vishnuprayag. Here, you can see the Alaknanda and Dahuliganga (two sister tributeries) merging together to form one single river. Also, you can seek blessings at a famous Vishnu temple, which was built in the year 1889.
With the approaching winters, it’s time to make the most of your vacations and head to Auli for an experience of a lifetime.